Job Number:2020-078Location:Winnipeg, Manitoba CANADAJob Type:Full TimeClose Date:03/05/2021Professional Areas:Support
MITT is a post-secondary institute offering industry-driven, student-focused education in the areas of skilled trades, business and information technology, health care, and human services. We provide affordable, timely, skills-based education for learners seeking career entry as well as those looking to acquire relevant, in-demand competencies at any point in life.
Career Development Services Officer
Anticipated Term: March 15, 2021 to September 12, 2022
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (35 hours/week)
Location: Pembina Campus and/or working remotely maybe required
The Career Development Officer is responsible for the development and delivery of career and employment-related services for MITT students. This includes delivering career, employment, and MITT Work Skills presentations and workshops, as well as working one-on-one with students on career topics. The term of employment is expected to begin March 15, 2021 and end September 12, 2022, or one day prior to the return of the employee being replaced.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Under the supervision of the Coordinator, Career Development Services, the Career Development Services Officer delivers career and employment services to all MITT campuses and students, but currently works out of the Pembina Campus
- Adapts, coordinates scheduling, and facilitates the MITT Work Skills Sessions, in-person and on mylearning, as well as other workshops and career services related programming
- Follows up with instructors and students on workshop progress, when needed
- Coordinates career related events and industry focused sessions including guest speakers, panel discussions and career fair events (in class, online and extra-curricular)
- Liaises with MITT instructional staff to plan sessions and coordinate additional in-class employment follow up activities
- Represents MITT at career, marketing, and recruitment events including Career Symposia and school presentations
- Maintains a regular schedule or availability for drop-in career assistance for students, prospective students and alumni
- Monitors the “Work Connections” job posting system, connecting employers with MITT students and recent graduates.
- Monitors and awards the Employed of the Month Program where students and alumni are congratulated for their new jobs
- Maintains a high-level of current knowledge regarding career education and labour-market trends relevant to MITT programs
- Maintains knowledge of MITT administrative systems applicable to this position
- Participates in professional development opportunities
- Either, or a combination of: a post-secondary degree or qualification in career-counseling or other area within the field of career-education; or a minimum of 3 years’ experience directly in a post-secondary career center, student services department, or post-secondary educational environment. A combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Experience with one, or more, of the following: high-school, post-secondary, adult, international, or special needs students
- Driver’s license is required and access to a vehicle
- Evening work and the ability to flex time is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including confidence with public speaking and delivering presentations is required.
- Able to work effectively in a collaborative environment, as well as independently. Works positively with multiple external and internal stakeholders.
- Strong work ethic and must be able to take initiative to solve problems and create service delivery plans within the annual college calendar.
- Models for students as an example of effective employability skills and professionalism.
- Acts with tact, and discretion when handling sensitive or personal information is required.
- Energetic and outgoing, possess a positive attitude, enjoy challenges, and cope well with a constantly changing, fast-paced work environment.
- Experience with online delivery and/or the ability to deliver online courses is an asset.
- A qualification or demonstrated experience in event planning and/or public relations is preferred.
- Is pleasant, professional and efficient in communication with staff and students, and be able to effectively work with students and the public during stressful situations.
- Able to make quick decisions by reviewing all options and selecting the most appropriate solution.
- Possesses a genuine interest in helping students, particularly in the area of career development.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions. Underfills may be considered and are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted until Friday, March 5, 2021. Submit your resume and cover letter using our online application system.
We are growing, come grow with us.
MITT offers a challenging, team-oriented work environment, competitive income and benefits,
and opportunities for professional and personal growth and development.
MITT is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free work environment, beginning with the hiring process. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. If contacted, applicants are asked to inform us if they require an accommodation. All information received as it relates to accommodation will be kept confidential.
MITT is committed to an employment equity practice that achieves a workforce reflective of the community at large. Applicants are encouraged to self-declare at the time they apply.
This position requires the successful completion of a Criminal Record check including vulnerable sector.
Please do not disclose personal health information or protected personal information through the application process.
DISCLAIMER: GETCANADIANEXPERIENCE does not guarantee the validity of job posting and job offers on its website. Job Seekers are cautioned to verify the validity of job postings and offers before taking any action about their employment situation. Job Seekers are solely responsible for checking the validity, genuineness, and legitimacy of any Employer, job posting or job offer posted on its company website.